Arabella Progress

I had hoped i would have got a lot more done during my week off but it wasn’t to be, i did understand how far my determination would stretch and apparently its endless ūüėÄ I’m so glad i didn’t just give up. I’m hoping to complete her end-of-week because i’ve just got the bodice left to do.

The farthingale was where i had the most¬†difficulty, apparently wire will not do what you want it to and i’ve noticed there are a lot of variety of farthingale shapes in¬†portraits¬†and among others reconstruction works (future projects).

 

 

 

At first it wouldn’t move into the shape i wanted, but in the end with the¬†bum roll¬†underneath it created the shape i wanted, high at the back and a deep dip at the front, like these below.

 

 

 

And with the petticoat on the shape is better realised, i did have a fun moment when i could climb underneath and hem the petticoat and no one would have seen me, perhaps my shadow but great hiding place.

 

 

 

I’ve already started on the skirt and but i think because of the¬†weight¬†of the Taffeta the farthingale is starting to lose its shape so i may add a flounce on to top like the black and white picture above.

Mistakes in Creativity

I read somewhere that to be creative is to allow yourself to make mistakes, well that was what i did on Tuesday and Wednesday  not willingly mind, but i excepted it and learnt from them.

I choose to make a late 16th century smock on¬†Tuesday¬†and it was important that i cut the neckline right to go with my 1590’s dress i was making and the corset i had just finished. However something went wrong mid action and perhaps i choose to ignore it or i was unaware of it and the smock was sent back 10 or 15 years. It did occur to me in the end that there is only one right way to cut a smock/chemise.

On¬†Wednesday¬†i carried on with the 1590’s dress and choose to make a large french farthingale to go underneath the skirt, it looked pretty simple (i had never made one before though) and went ahead without really considering it at first. I realised later on that i should of took into consideration what i would be boning the farthingale with, as it turned out that my trusty flexible wire wasn’t going to work, weighing the whole thing down. I also miscalculated the shape of the waist, i’m still not sure how i did this, but i will figure it out.

I felt pretty lacking in motivation at the end of wednesday, ready to go to sleep and forget the two wasted days, in my eyes. But my lovely tabby (samsung tablet) reminded me to read some verses in the bible and my motivation flooded back, reminding me whats most important and why i’m trying so hard. Anyway, heres hoping the rest of the week will be far more productive.